Complaints will be accepted up to four months from the date of the behaviour(s) or first publication of the item(s) that you are complaining about.
Should the item remain accessible on our website or in another digital format after this time, we will accept complaints up to 12 months from the date of first publication provided that it is still possible to investigate the complaint fairly given the period of time that has elapsed.
Complaints must include:
- a link to the relevant webpage, if the complaint is about online material (or, if the item is in print, the publication title, date, page and headline);
- reference to the section(s) of the Editors’ Code under which your complaint is being made;
- any other documents that will help us assess your complaint.Complaints received without this information may not be considered.
We may seek further details after your initial contact. We reserve the right to reject, without further investigation, complaints that show no breach of the Editors' Code.
What happens to your complaint?
We aim to acknowledge your complaint within 5 working days of receipt.
In making a complaint, you agree to respond promptly to any request for further information.
Our complaints process is free of charge, regardless of outcome.
If we receive multiple complaints about the same issue we may make one response to all.
We will respond to all complaints within 28 days of receiving all the necessary information to allow us to investigate.
- If we accept that we have breached the Editors’ Code we will seek to remedy the breach as required by the Code.
- When handling your complaint we will treat you fairly, courteously and with respect. We may decline to consider any complaint that is abusive or gratuitously offensive.
- If at any stage of your complaint we do not hear back from you within 14 days, we will consider your complaint satisfied and closed.